According to the National Center for Drug Abuse Statistics, alcoholism, alcohol abuse and alcohol use disorder (AUD) kill nearly 3 million people each year. In fact, as of 2022, the condition accounted for 6% of all deaths globally. These key findings may be why sober lifestyles are now trending and why CBD for alcoholism is increasing in use.
Today, consumers are turning to CBD gummies for alcoholism, other addictions, and common symptoms of withdrawal. A rising number of studies are backing up CBD’s unique benefits for alcoholism and recovery from its addiction. So, what exactly are the benefits of CBD for alcoholism?
Keep reading for all the latest research available so far, and tips on how to use full spectrum CBD gummies for alcoholism, too.
Risks of Alcoholism & Symptoms
Alcoholism not only affects a vast number of people, but comes with several risks, and symptoms. More so, alcoholism doesn’t discriminate when it comes to who it affects. Anyone can be an alcoholic, despite age, race, or gender.
Of course, there are a number of precursors that may contribute to someone becoming an alcoholic, and also a wide range of symptoms to look out for.
Factors that can contribute to the risk of alcoholism include -
- Family lineage or genetic history of alcoholism
- Starting to drink at a younger age
- Binge drinking, or steadily drinking over time
- Mental health conditions, like depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia
- Having certain surgical procedures, like bariatric surgery
- Cultural and social factors, i.e. the influence of loved ones, peers, parents or others.
- Emotional or traumatic pasts
Now, onto some signs or symptoms that may become apparent when a person is suffering from alcoholism -
- Consuming 12+ drinks for females, and 15+ drinks for males per week. Or, drinking over five drinks per day at least once a week which is classified as ‘binge’ drinking.
- Overdrinking, drinking for longer than expected, or drinking alone frequently.
- Missing out or giving up on occupation, recreational or social responsibilities and activities due to drinking.
- Higher tolerance for alcohol, and the need to drink more to feel its effects.
- Awareness of the damage that drinking is causing your life, yet continuing to do so (the inability to stop).
- Unsafe drinking habits, or consuming alcohol when it’s unsafe to do so - i.e. driving, boating, etc.
- Poor personal hygiene or the neglect of.
- Poor diet, or not eating properly.
- Withdrawal symptoms like sweating, shaking, trouble sleeping, and nausea.
Recently, another ‘substance’ has been linked to alcoholism and may just be a potential aid in reducing alcohol consumption. That being, CBD for alcoholism, the non-psychoactive cannabinoid that has a variety of health, and wellness benefits. So, just how do CBD gummies for alcoholism work?
CBD for Alcoholism - How it Helps
Even though research for CBD is still in its infancy, experts agree that it could be beneficial for alcoholism. That’s due to a few studies already linking CBD to alcoholism, and its influence over parts of the brain responsible for addictive behaviors.
So far, here’s what we know -
- CBD inhibits areas of the brain that are usually activated by drugs, tobacco, or alcohol.
- In a recent opioid addiction study, when dosed with CBD, addicts reported reduced cravings.
- CBD’s antioxidant effects may reduce heightened free radical levels that are caused by alcoholism. Free radicals have also been found to raise the risk of heart disease and cancer, expanding upon CBD’s benefits for potential long-term side effects of alcoholism.
- Nausea, anxiety, vomiting, and insomnia are all symptoms of alcohol withdrawal that CBD has proven to alleviate.
- An animal study showed that CBD may decrease impulsive behavior associated with alcohol or cocaine addiction.
- A recent study on animals and humans led researchers to believe CBD was effective at reducing overall alcohol intake, in those who suffer from alcohol use disorder. The study also concluded that CBD’s neuroprotective effects can help protect against alcohol-induced brain damage.
Beyond all of the latest research, the way in which CBD works internally proves its potential efficacy for curing alcoholism. So, next, let’s go more in-depth on how and why CBD gummies for alcoholism work.
Why CBD Gummies for Alcoholism May Work?
You might be wondering - how can we be sure that CBD gummies for alcoholism are effective? It’s all about the cannabinoid’s unique interaction with the body’s endocannabinoid system, also known as the ECS.
The ECS is a lesser-known physiological system that is extremely important in maintaining optimal health. It is a network of receptors that travel to and from all the other body’s systems with one goal in mind - achieving homeostasis or, the overall feeling of feeling ‘well being’. That means it can affect mood, perception of pain, memory, appetite, and other everyday functions.
CBD, and other cannabinoids from full-spectrum hemp extracts influence, interact and activate ECS receptors for its unique effects to be felt. Especially the CB1 and CB2 receptors. And, what has the latest research found related to alcoholism? That alcohol can affect the levels of CB1 and CB2 present in the brain, positively influencing and directly affecting the subject’s alcohol intake.
This expression was discovered in a study on mice that showed when administering CBD, alcohol intake was significantly reduced. Now, if you’re interested in reaping the benefits of CBD for alcoholism, read up on all the best tips below.
Tips on How to Consume CBD for Alcoholism
CBD gummies for alcoholism and CBD oils are extremely simple to implement in your everyday routines. That’s because there’s a consumption method, type, or flavor, for practically anyone and everyone. Not to mention, they’re widely available online as is the research backing how CBD makes you feel.
With that said, there are a few tips on how to consume CBD for alcoholism, specifically.
Ingesting CBD gummies, capsules or oils are the most popular consumption methods. They can be added to your everyday supplement or vitamin routine, or even infused into your daily meals to mask the taste or flavors.
- Sublingually consuming CBD oil is a fast-acting consumption method. By holding the drops of oil under your tongue for up to a minute, the cannabinoids have a higher bioavailability due to being directly absorbed into the bloodstream. This way they bypass enzymes and chemicals in the digestive system that can break the delicate cannabinoids and compounds down.
While you can vape CBD pens too, smoking is often a trigger for alcoholism so it might not be the best method for everyone.
The Pros and Cons of CBD for Alcoholism
If you’re still on the fence on whether or not CBD for alcoholism is effective, or safe for you or your loved ones,looking at the pros and cons might help.
How to Choose the Right CBD Gummies for Alcoholism?
To start, the best piece of advice for choosing the right CBD gummies for alcoholism is selecting a trusted, reputable brand.
The top brands will be transparent with third-party testing results, extract from hemp grown in the USA, and use organic, vegan, and all-natural ingredients.
Beyond sourcing your CBD from a brand that you can trust, it helps to choose full-spectrum CBD gummies for alcoholism. Full-spectrum CBD goods contain the entire profile of hemp compounds, cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, and phytonutrients for a well-rounded, and more potent experience.
However, because full-spectrum CBD gummies and other goods can contain up to 0.3% THC. If you’re worried about drug testing, broad-spectrum types deliver the same profile minus any trace of THC.
Final Thoughts on CBD for Alcoholism
Now that everyday stresses are at an all-time high, more and more people are rejuvenating their routines for improved health and wellness. This includes the trend away from heavy drinking and towards addressing personal addictions like alcoholism. So far, CBD for alcoholism is coming to the aid of many consumers with its gentle effects on the body, and virtually no harmful side effects.
If you’re interested in exploring CBD gummies for alcoholism, look no further than Alchemy Naturals CBD. Here, our all-natural gummies deliver high-quality, full-spectrum CBD for the utmost efficacy in alternative healing. Shop Alchemy Naturals’ CBD gummies online, now!